Questions About Travelling To Emo?

Sunset Country Guide Cover Order your FREE Sunset Country Travel Guide and Fishing Map  ORDER GUIDE

Here's Some Answers to Questions You May Have About Your a Trip to Emo

Below is a list of frequently asked questions about Emo, Ontario. If you have further questions about visiting Sunset Country such as crossing the US/Canada border, items you can or can't bring into Canada, fishing & hunting licenses and types of accommodations, please visit the Sunset Country FAQ page. If you have further questions about traveling in Emo and Northwestern Ontario, please contact us at the Ontario's Sunset Country Travel Association. We can be reached toll-free at 1-800-665-7567 or locally at 807-468-5853 or you can email us your questions.

Where is Sunset Country?

Sunset Country is located in the Northwest corner of Ontario, Canada. We are bordered to the south by Minnesota and to the west by Manitoba. Our eastern border is just west of Thunder Bay.

Where is Emo?

The Township of Emo is located on Highway 11 along the Rainy River, directly north of the state of Minnesota. The closest bridge connecting the two countries is located at Fort Frances, which is approximately 30 minutes from Emo. Another international bridge is located in Rainy River, approximately 40 minutes west of Emo. Emo is one of the scenic stops on the "MOM's Way" (Manitoba-Ontario-Minnesota) route. 

How do I get to Sunset Country?

Sunset Country is less than a day's drive from many US Midwest cities. All main highways and roads in Sunset Country are paved. From the United States, there are three border crossings - at International Falls, Minnesota, Baudette, Minnesota and at Pigeon River. The International Falls/Fort Frances border is the closest to Emo. If you are flying, you can fly into International Falls, MN, Thunder Bay, ON or Winnipeg, MB. Delta Air Lines and SkyWest Air Lines partner to provide air service to Falls International (INL). From there you can rent a car or van or use a shuttle service to get to Emo.

Can I fly into Emo?

Emo does not have an airport, however, charter and personal flights can land at the Fort Frances Municipal Airport. The airport has a 4500 runway. For more information call the airport at 807-274-3930. Visit the CANPASS website for information on Canadian customs and immigration.

What are the speed limits in Ontario?

Speed limits are posted in kilometers. Speed limits on the main highways in the area usually 90 km/hour or 55 mph. Please follow the posted speed limits and watch for wildlife.

  • 25 mph = 40 km/hr
  • 35 mph = 57 km/hr
  • 50 mph = 80 km/hr
  • 55 mph = 90 km/hr
  • 62 mph = 100 km/hr

Where can I get maps of the area?

You can order a Free Travel Guide & Map of Sunset Country, which has a large pull-out map that shows all of Northwest Ontario (Accommodations & Lodging are dotted on the area map.) You can purchase maps of the area at Hydrographic Charts, Angling Maps and Topographical Maps are available. You can also phone Canada Map Sales 1-877-627-7226 to find out which maps are available for the lakes you will be visiting.

What is the average temperature in Northwestern Ontario?

Here's the average temperature in the Emo area.

What's the current weather in Emo?

Here's the current weather in Emo.