Frequenty Asked Questions About Ignace

Sunset Country Guide Cover Order your FREE Sunset Country Travel Guide and Fishing Map  ORDER GUIDE

Here's Some Answers to Questions You May Have About Your a Trip to Ignace

Below is a list of frequently asked questions about Ignace, Ontario. If you have further questions about visiting Sunset Country such as crossing the US/Canada border, items you can or can't bring into Canada, fishing & hunting licenses and types of accommodations, please visit the Sunset Country FAQs page. If you have further questions about traveling in Ignace and Northwestern Ontario, please contact us at the Ontario's Sunset Country Travel Association. We can be reached toll-free at 1-800-665-7567 or locally at 807-468-5853 or you can email us your questions.

Where is Sunset Country?

Sunset Country is located in the Northwest corner of Ontario, Canada. We are bordered to the south by Minnesota and to the west by Manitoba. Our eastern border is just west of Thunder Bay.

Where is Ignace?

Ignace is located in the heart of Northwestern Ontario's Sunset Country and is situated on Agimak Lake at the junction of the Trans-Canada Highway and Highway 599. It is a 2 1/2 hour drive to Thunder Bay and a 5 hour to Winnipeg, Manitoba. If you're coming from the U.S., cross the border at International Falls, MN to Fort Frances Ontario. From there travel up Highway 502 North to Dryden. Then take the Trans-Canada Highway (17) east 105 km (65 miles) to Ignace.

How do I get to Sunset Country?

Sunset Country is less than a day's drive from many US Midwest cities. All main highways and roads in Sunset Country are paved. From the United States, there are three border crossings - at International Falls, Minnesota, Baudette, Minnesota and at Pigeon River. If you are flying, you can fly into International Falls, MN, Thunder Bay, ON or Winnipeg, MB. From there you can rent a car or van or use a shuttle service to get to Ignace

Can I fly into Ignace?

You can fly into the Ignace by private aircraft or charter. There is no scheduled service. Bearskin Airlines has scheduled air services to the Dryden Regional Airport Charter and personal flights can also land at the Dryden Airport. Dryden is 105 km (65 miles) west of Ignace. Visit the CANPASS website for information on Canadian customs and immigration or call 1-888-226-7277.

What are the speed limits in Ontario?

Speed limits are posted in kilometers. Speed limits on the main highways in the area usually 90 km/hour or 55 mph. Please follow the posted speed limits and watch for wildlife.

  • 25 mph = 40 km/hr
  • 35 mph = 57 km/hr
  • 50 mph = 80 km/hr
  • 55 mph = 90 km/hr
  • 62 mph = 100 km/hr

Where can I get maps of the area?

You can order a Free Travel Guide & Map of Sunset Country, which has a large pull-out map that shows all of Northwest Ontario (Accommodations & Lodging are dotted on the area map.) You can purchase maps of the area at Hydrographic charts, angling maps, and topographical maps are available. You can also phone Canada Map Sales 1-877-627-7226 to find out which maps are available for the lakes you will be visiting.

What is the average temperature in Northwestern Ontario?

Here's the average temperature in the Ignace area.

What's the current weather in Ignace?

Here's the current weather in Ignace.